- The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) recently reported that global food prices rose at an alarming rate in May. The May index rose by 4.8% over April, a surge of nearly 40% year-on-year, the fastest growth rate in more than a decade.
- The drought in Brazil’s main planting areas has severely affected the growth of crops such as corn and coffee. Among the major cereals, the corn price index rose the most, rising by 8.8% in May, setting a new high since January 2013.
- Since mid-May this year, the price of iron ore has dropped by nearly 20%; the spot transaction volume of ports across the country has also fallen sharply.
- Last week, the average daily trading volume was about 886,000 tons, a sharp decrease of about 58.8% from the high of 2.15 million tons on May 7.
- Strategy Analytics: In 2020, the world’s top 5 automotive semiconductor suppliers are Infineon, NXP, Renesas, Texas Instruments and STMicroelectronics, with a total market share of nearly 49%. Infineon replaced NXP as the number one supplier of automotive semiconductors. In addition, it is estimated that the revenue of automotive semiconductor suppliers will fall to 35 billion U.S. dollars in 2020, a year-on-year decrease of 6%.
- China Construction Machinery Industry Association: In May, 26 excavator manufacturers sold 27,220 excavators of various types, a year-on-year decrease of 14.3%; among them, 22,070 domestic units, a year-on-year decrease of 25.2%; exports of 5150 units, a year-on-year increase of 132%. From January to May, a total of 200733 excavators were sold, a year-on-year increase of 37.7%; of which, 176,735 units were domestic, a year-on-year increase of 31.7%; 23,998 units were exported, a year-on-year increase of 106%.
- Australia and Brazil together account for 81% of China’s total iron ore imports
- Emerging channels such as O2O, e-commerce and community group buying are being sought after by consumers. In 2020, the channel penetration rate of e-commerce increased from 34% in 2019 to 47%, O2O increased from 22% to 33%, and community group buying increased from 3% to 16%. It is estimated that by 2025, 65% of retail consumption will take place in digital and neighborhood stores.
- State Administration of Radio, Film and Television: In 2020, China’s online audiovisual revenue was 294.393 billion yuan, a year-on-year increase of 69.37%. Among them, short video, e-commerce live broadcast and other income reached 211.13 billion yuan, an increase of 87.18% year-on-year.
- Zhang Wei, Deputy Mayor of Shanghai: During the “14th Five-Year Plan” period, we will actively support the development of new energy vehicles. In principle, all new or updated buses and cruise taxis will use new energy vehicles, and the proportion of new energy and clean energy buses will reach 96%.
- Zuckerberg: Facebook will not collect revenue share from creators who use its website until at least 2023. In addition, when Facebook launches its revenue sharing plan, the percentage of revenue it will charge will be lower than the 30% charged by Apple and other companies.
- Bloomberg: American super rich Jeff Bezos posted a video on social media saying that he will travel to space on July 20 in the “New Shepherd” spacecraft developed by Blue Origin.
- Bloomberg: Japan and Finland will cooperate to develop 6G. Industry groups from Japan and Finland will reach an agreement on cooperation on 6G development, and Nokia will participate.
- Securities Times: The country’s first port collection and distribution system based on ETC technology has recently been tested and officially put into operation at Rizhao Port, Shandong Port. At present, the port collection and distribution system has covered the collection and distribution operations of bulk cargo and liquefied products in Rizhao Port. Compared with the original traditional active radio frequency card mode, the transit time of entering and exiting the port is reduced by 50%, and the weighing time of vehicles is shortened by 30%.
- European Chamber of Commerce: In 2021, about half of the companies surveyed said that their profit margins in China were higher than the global average, which was much higher than the 38% in the survey last year. Nearly 60% of European companies plan to expand their business in China, a year-on-year increase of nearly 10%.
- National Statistics Office of Korea: In April, the sales of duty-free shops in Korea increased by 51.6% year-on-year, setting a new high in the past three years. In terms of merchandise sales, sales of shoes and bags surged by 108% year-on-year, cosmetics by 37.9%, and other commodities by 173%.