- On October 3, Japan broadcast footage of several special sharks swimming in a water tank. Under the orange-red culture light, their body surface emits a faint blue light. This is the first time humans have used an artificial womb to breed and give birth to a shark, a move that takes the practical application of artificial womb technology one step further. In the future, women will be spared the pain of childbirth, and tens of thousands of babies will be born in laboratories every year.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: In September, global sugar prices hit a new high in the past 13 years. The main reason for this phenomenon is that due to the impact of the El Niño phenomenon, the output of sugar-producing countries India and Thailand may decline, and the market is worried that sugar supply will tighten.
- The latest data from Clarksons, a British shipbuilding and shipping industry analysis agency, reported that in September this year, global new ship orders were 1.86 million revised gross tons, a year-on-year decrease of 59%. Among them, the number of new ship orders received by Chinese shipbuilding companies was 1.53 million revised gross tons, a total of 62 ships, accounting for approximately 82.3%, ranking first in the world. The number of new ship orders received by Korean shipbuilding companies is 120,000 revised gross tons and a total of 4 new ships, accounting for approximately 6.5%, ranking second in the world.
- As of the end of September, the Three Gorges Ship Lock has operated a total of 8,340 times, with 32,000 ships passing through and 127 million tons of cargo passing through (a year-on-year increase of 10.02%). This is the first time that the cargo volume of the Three Gorges Ship Lock has exceeded 120 million tons in the first three quarters.
- Gamma data: In August, the actual sales revenue of China’s game market was 29.226 billion yuan, a month-on-month increase of 2.15% and a year-on-year increase of 46.08%. The year-on-year growth rate expanded again. Among them, the actual sales revenue of China’s mobile game market was 22.851 billion yuan, an increase of 3.35% month-on-month and a year-on-year increase of 63.73%.
- Passenger Car Association: It is estimated that the wholesale sales of new energy passenger vehicle manufacturers in September will be 830,000 units, a year-on-year increase of 23% and a month-on-month increase of 4%. According to preliminary estimates, a total of 5.92 million vehicles were wholesaled from January to September, a year-on-year increase of 36%. China’s new energy passenger vehicle sales were 8.5 million units, narrow passenger vehicle sales were 23.5 million units, and the annual new energy vehicle penetration rate is expected to reach 36%.
- Shanghai Municipal Health Commission: Released the “Standards for the Production and Setting of Health Reminder Labels for Sugary Beverages (Draft for Comments)” to the public. It is clarified that the scope of sugary drinks is in line with the definition in the “Dietary Guidelines for Chinese Residents (2022)”. Sugary drinks refer to drinks with sugar added artificially during the production of drinks and with a sugar content of more than 5%.
- Dell’Oro Group: Global telecom capital expenditures are expected to fall 7% by 2025 from 2022 levels.
- Tesla, Google and Microsoft will invest US$5 billion in Thailand. Tesla will consider electric car manufacturing facilities, and Microsoft and Google are considering data centers.
- Doosan Robot’s subscription amount reaches 33 trillion won. Doosan Robotics IPOed in South Korea after the company raised 421 billion won (equivalent to US$310 million), becoming South Korea’s largest initial public offering (IPO) so far in 2023. Doosan, headquartered in Suwon, is South Korea’s largest manufacturer of collaborative robots. Its issue price is 26,000 won per share, which is at the upper end of the issue price range.
- Amazon’s warehousing distribution network is open to all US sellers.
- TikTok Shop has officially closed in Indonesia. TikTok will become a short video content platform in the Indonesian market that no longer has “e-commerce functions”.
- Evergrande Automobile: It has applied to the Stock Exchange to resume trading in the company’s shares starting from 9:00 am on October 9. The resumption process lags behind the other two Evergrande listed companies because Newton Group’s original strategic investment of US$500 million needs to be renegotiated.
- Trina Solar: Net profit attributable to parent company is expected to be 4.563 billion-5.577 billion yuan in the first three quarters.
- Northern Rare Earth: Based on the rare earth concentrate pricing method and the rare earth oxide price in the third quarter of 2023, after calculation and review and approval by the company’s general manager office meeting, the rare earth concentrate transaction price in the fourth quarter of 2023 was adjusted to 20,536 yuan/tax excluding tax. Ton (dry weight, REO=50%), for every 1% increase or decrease in REO, the tax-exclusive price increases or decreases by 410.72 yuan/ton. The company will re-sign the “Rare Earth Concentrate Supply Contract” with Baotou Iron and Steel Co., Ltd. and execute rare earth concentrate-related transactions in accordance with the newly signed contract.
- BYD: Sales volume in September was 287,500 vehicles, compared with 201,300 vehicles in the same period last year; sales volume in the first nine months was 2.0796 million vehicles, a year-on-year increase of 75.48%. In addition, a total of 28,000 new energy passenger vehicles were sold overseas in September. The total installed capacity of new energy vehicle power batteries and energy storage batteries in September was approximately 14.348GWh, and the total installed capacity in 2023 will be approximately 100.931GWh.
- Baidu is stepping up the training of ERNIE Bot Large Model 4.0, which may be released at the Baidu World Conference on October 17.
- Türkiye’s CPI increased by 61.53% year-on-year in September.
- The U.S. Department of Commerce has added 42 Chinese companies to the export control list.
- The Reserve Bank of Australia maintained its benchmark interest rate at 4.1% for the fourth consecutive time.
- Indonesia’s Jakarta-Bandung high-speed railway officially opened for operation on October 1
- Iraq bans U.S. dollar withdrawals and transactions starting next year