- Health Commission: More than 500 million doses of COVID-19 vaccination nationwide. Since the emergence of confirmed cases in many places in Japan on May 13, the national single-day vaccination rate has set a record 5 times in 8 days. The existing vaccines in China can deal with foreign mutant strains and can meet the requirement of more than 20 million doses per day.
- India: New Delhi’s current “closure” measures will be extended to May 31 to continue to consolidate the results of the fight against the epidemic. This is the fifth time that New Delhi has extended the “closure” measures.
- Thailand’s tourism industry is not expected to fully recover until 2026.
- Ministry of Industry and Information Technology: From January to April, China’s software industry completed software business revenue of 2571.9 billion yuan, a year-on-year increase of 25.0%, and a compound growth rate of 11.7% in the past two years. From January to April, the industry realized a total profit of 288.5 billion yuan, a year-on-year increase of 20.5%, and a compound growth rate of 8.5% in the past two years.
- CCTV Finance: Since May, the price of domestic cultural paper has generally increased by 200 yuan/ton, and the price of white cardboard has increased by 1,000 yuan/ton. The price of wood pulp, which is the raw material for paper pulp, has also risen all the way. From July last year to March this year, the price of wood pulp rose on average by more than US$400/ton. Not only is the price of cultural paper and packaging paper rising, but even the price of toilet paper is also rising. The increase in the price of raw materials is an inevitable event that is transmitted to the prices of downstream consumers.
- Chen Shiyi, Huashan Hospital Affiliated to Fudan University: The total market size of China’s sports medicine will reach about 200 billion yuan. In the future, it will be used in the fields of sports injuries, sports rehabilitation, sports promotion of health and sports prescriptions, and in the fields of implants, consumables, and related medical equipment. All will usher in development opportunities.
- Securities Times: After the global memory chip market declined in 2019, it resumed growth in 2020 and will continue to grow this year and the next two years. It is estimated that in 2021, the size of the global memory chip market will reach 155.2 billion U.S. dollars, an increase of 22.5% year-on-year, close to the high of 163.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2018.
- TrendForce Consulting: Stimulated by the housing economy and the rescue plan, TV sales in North America set a record for the same period, which in turn boosted global TV shipments to 49.96 million units in the first quarter of 2021. Hisense successfully squeezed into the ranks of the fifth largest brand in North America in the first quarter, and its market share exceeded 10% for the first time, reaching 11.1%.
- Forbes Chinese website: The world’s largest copper producer Chilean National Copper Corporation wrote to members of Congress that if Congress passes the Glacier Protection Act, nearly 40% of the company’s copper output will be at risk. Its three main mines, Andina, El Teniente and Salvador, are all restricted by the Glacier Protection Act.
- The U.S. Postal Service plans to spend $40 billion to upgrade facilities.
- Shopee’s quarterly GMV reached $12.6 billion.
A few days ago, Sea Limited, the parent company of Shopee (the Southeast Asian payment, commerce and gaming giant), released its first quarter 2021 financial report, showing that the company’s total GAAP revenue in the first quarter was US$1.764 billion, a year-on-year increase of 146.7%; Shopee’s total orders reached 1.1 billion, An increase of 153% year-on-year; the gross merchandise value (GMV) reached US$12.6 billion, an increase of 103.2% year-on-year.
- Virgin Galactic successfully returned to the sky by manned for the first time. Virgin Galactic completed the third space flight of the company’s manned spacecraft and returned to Earth safely. So far, about 600 people have booked Virgin Galactic space travel tickets, and the fare is about US$250,000. VSS Unity can carry up to six passengers and two pilots.
- The growth of business activity in the Eurozone hit a three-year high. Recently, Reuters announced a survey that showed that the growth of corporate activity in the euro area this month was the fastest in more than three years. The initial value of the IHS Markit euro area’s comprehensive PMI in May rose from the final value of 53.8 in April to 56.9, which was February 2018. The highest in the month, estimated at 55.1.
- Japan’s export growth rate hits the highest in 11 years.
- Last week, data released by the Ministry of Finance of Japan showed that exports in April reached 7.1811 trillion yen, an increase of 38% year-on-year, the largest increase since April 2010. Among them, exports to China increased by 33.9%, and exports to the United States increased by 45.1%. Imports in April were 6.9257 trillion yen, a year-on-year increase of 12.8%. Realized a trade surplus of 255.3 billion yen.
- Japanese shipping companies received the highest number of orders in 5 years in April.